This website is not associated with or owned by the EU. The European Union’s official website is

  • EU Schengen
  • Non-EU Schengen States
  • Non-Schengen EU States

ETIAS does not provide authorization for Canadian citizens to study at a European university. To take up a university course in a European country, individuals must apply under the respective country’s student visa or national visa scheme.

ETIAS does not permit Canadians to work as employees of a company based in a European country. This is because the visa waiver system only permits overseas visitors entry to the Schengen area for tourist, transit and business purposes. To work in an EU country Canadian citizens will need to apply for an appropriate national visa or work permit for the country they are seeking employment in.

Yes, ETIAS allows Canadians to visit friends or family members who are either citizens of a Schengen member country or residency permit holders. This type of visit can be indicated during the visa waiver application process.

ETIAS is an electronic travel authorisation, also known as a visa waiver, it is not a visa for Europe. Canadians do not need a visa to travel to the Schengen Area for up to 90 days per 180-day period. ETIAS is an electronic travel authorisation used to pre-screen visitors who are exempt from applying for a visa.