This website is not associated with or owned by the EU. The European Union’s official website is

  • EU Schengen
  • Non-EU Schengen States
  • Non-Schengen EU States
ETIAS does not allow Japanese nationals to study in a Schengen country. The visa waiver is intended for business or tourism, as well as transit across the Schengen region to another destination.

However, Japanese tourists with ETIAS may participate in a brief leisure course, such as a language course, during their visit if it lasts less than 90 days.

Japanese citizens who desire to study in the EU for an extended period of time, such as at university, must apply for an appropriate national visa or study visa.

No, ETIAS does not constitute a visa. It is an electronic visa waiver for nationals of over 50 countries who are entitled to visit the Schengen zone visa-free.

ETIAS is not a visa, however it will be required for Japanese nationals travelling to Europe. Visa-free travel is authorised for up to 90 days for tourist, business, or transit purposes.

Tourists and business travellers from Japan can visit the Schengen Area without a visa for up to 90 days. ETIAS will be necessary to travel visa-free to the Schengen Area.

Japanese nationals who want to stay in Europe for more than 90 days or for purposes such as employment or study should apply for a national visa at the nearest embassy or consulate.