This website is not associated with or owned by the EU. The European Union’s official website is

  • EU Schengen
  • Non-EU Schengen States
  • Non-Schengen EU States
ETIAS travel authorizations are valid for three years once obtained. The ETIAS visa waiver is a multiple-entry travel document for Europe. This means that Chilean travellers will be permitted to depart and enter Europe many times during the three years of ETIAS validity.

The total amount of time a visitor can spend in the Schengen Area in any 6-month period is 90 days.

Remember that your ETIAS visa waiver is linked to your passport. If your passport expires before your ETIAS authorization expires, you must apply for a new one.

The ETIAS authorization is valid for tourist, business, and transit. This means that you will not be able to work legally in Europe with an ETIAS travel authorization.

If you are a Chilean looking to work in Europe, your first step should be to learn about the immigration regulations of the country you want to work in (immigration legislation for employees varies by country) and what work permits you are eligible for. European embassies in Chile and immigration agents can assist you in determining your alternatives.

Although Chilean travellers are asked about their criminal history as part of the online ETIAS application, having a criminal record does not preclude them from crossing the Schengen border.

Only applicants who pose a threat to the safety of the European public will be denied an ETIAS visa waiver. Minor criminal crimes in Chile will not inevitably result in the denial of an ETIAS application.

The ETIAS travel authorization is valid for short-term visits in the Schengen area. The European authorities expect you to obey the terms of your authorization and leave Europe after 90 days. You will subsequently be unable to re-enter the Schengen area for 180 days.

Overstaying your ETIAS visa waiver for more than 90 days violates both the terms of your ETIAS and European immigration policies. This not only risks having your ETIAS terminated, but it may also have more significant consequences (including affecting your chances to get a new ETIAS in the future, and even fines and detention).

If you plan to stay in Europe for an extended period of time, you should look into immigration visa possibilities. You can do so by contacting the embassy of the European country where you wish to live.